Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gender Defined

We had our 19 week scan yesterday and we know the gender of our little Bean!!!

But before I give the most important piece of information am going to tell the story of getting to the scan...

I have already mentioned that we have had our 19 week, but I am 21 weeks pregnant! The reason for the initial delay for the scan is that we had planned to get it done at the hospital that we are booked into for Bean's birth. Being a public hospital, I assume that there is a degree of demand on their services and the first appointment they gave us was at 7.30 in the morning and the likely hood of getting to that time AND being able to organise kid wrangling for Peanut were little to none. When I called to change the appointment time (from 7.30) the next time they had available was nearly 2 weeks later!

Anyway, our scan was scheduled for yesterday at 9.00 in the morning and I had organised the day around this time. I had cancelled Peanuts swimming lesson for the morning and had gone to a make-up lesson the day before. And I had organised for my parents to meet us at the hospital to take Peanut for walk while we were getting the scan done.

So yesterday morning came and i started to get ready, watching the clock to make sure that I was completely ready to leave the house at 8.00. At 7.55 I was with Peanut, putting his shoes on when the phone rang. I assumed it was my parents calling to reassure me that they were on their way but the caller ID said it was a private number - my parents do not have a private number... It was the hospital.

The hospital called me - minutes before i was about to leave the house - to say that the person due to do my scan had called in sick and was not coming in, and that they would have to cancel my appointment. They then said that they would call back later to look at rescheduling the appointment but that it would not be happening today. WHEN? When were they going to call back? In half an hour? later in the day? next week? WHEN??? They did not know when they would be able to get back to me.

I called my parents and told them that the scan was not happening, and being the lovely people they are they said that they would come to our house anyway so we could still have spend some time together and they can still have some quality time with their grandson. I then spent some time having a quality cry and looked up the phone number for the place that we had gotten both of Peanut's scans and the first scan for Bean done.


The place we went to for previous scans were able to give us an appointment on Friday or in a couple of Saturdays but I didn't take the time they were offering. I then wen through the list of other locations that the scanning place had and picked one that was close by. They were not able to give me an appointment for a couple of weeks either but they were able to get me an appointment at a third place - still not far from home AND for the afternoon! All I had to do was get a referral from my GP and I was set to go!!!

M34tb4LL had told his work colleagues that he was going to be in late yesterday, seeing as he was going to the scan as well, but he left to go to work at normal time so that he could leave early to come to our new appointment time.

When my parents got to the house I told them about the new appointment time and luckily it fitted into their plans for the day to help out and hang around till the afternoon appointment - fulfilling their role as kid wranglers.

The funniest thing - well I can laugh about it now at least - about half an hour after the parents got our house the hospital rang to say that they were calling to rebook our appointment and that they can see us in three weeks from Saturday. Remembering here that the scan is already two weeks overdue...

The rest of the day went nice and smoothly, we went for a nice relaxing drive in the hills - had some lunch - admired the view - and got back in time to go to the doctors to get my referral. We then went home where M34tb4LL was waiting for us, we left Peanut with the parentals, drove to Mitcham and where there with a few minutes to spare to find where we had to go.

So after a stressful morning and then a de-stressing day it was so fantastic to see our little Bean. The ultra-sound person checked all the necessary measurements that had to be checked. She looked at Beans face, heart, kidneys and I'm glad that she knew what she was looking at.

And the results of the ultra sound were all good! Everything the scanning person check seemed to look good - which was a great relief to us. We told the scanning person that we were very keen to discover the gender of our baby and she was happy to oblige.

Now after the story of how we got there, here is the long awaited answer to the gender question -

Bean is a girl! We are going to be having a little girl!!! Tickle me pink, we will have a daughter!!!!!!

(: Reggie

No comments:

Post a Comment