Saturday, November 21, 2009

The end is nigh...

Today is about the 3 1/2 weeks to go point in this pregnancy, and to be honest I am very keen for the next 3 1/2 weeks to go as fast of possible. Of course i am nervous because Peanut went two weeks over and i am dreading that Bean will follow in her big brothers footsteps. But i have also been thinking a fair bit lately about my own mothers experience with her second pregnancy (that would be her pregnancy with me), i was born a premmie, and if i was mother pregnant with me - i would have a 2 1/2 week old baby by now... does that make sense?

I was born six weeks prem and this pregnancy has only five weeks to go. I wouldn't mind going a little early - a week or maybe two at the most. I have been told that a once a gestation gets to 37 weeks the baby can be considered full term. So if Bean comes a week or two before the 40 week mark that would be alright, there would not be any big reason for concern. Well no more reason for concern than the normal.

I have been getting weekly update emails from a pregnancy site that gives little bits of info about the approximate size and weight of the baby, things that i might be experiencing and tips and hints about to what to expect in the weeks to come. It would have been close to 10 weeks ago that i got an email from this site telling me that a baby born at that point had a good chance at surviving. A baby that had even made it to the third trimester!

I am amazed at what modern medicine can do, what it can achieved. But it is also a rather scary thought. I must say that i do not say that because i don't think that a baby born that much prem should not be saved - very much the opposite! I am just amazed how much hope there is for such a prem baby. And i think about what my mother must have gone through having a baby 6 weeks prem, 6 weeks prem. I mean 37 years modern medicine was not as modern as it is now! And six weeks prem today is not at all as scary a thought as it was when i was born.

But with only 3 1/2 weeks to go - only half a week till the "term" mile stone, i don't have to worry at all the prospect of having a prem baby, not that i thought i would have to worry. If i was worries would i have stayed at up until yesterday? nope. But at of yesterday I'm no longer working and once i get a few things done I can completely focus on having this baby.

So am i ready to have this baby? Not really! But that does not mean that i don't want her to come - and that i am not completely over being pregnant!!! I just mean that will i ever be ready? was my mother ready to have me 6 weeks early? Was i ready for Peanut 2 weeks late? no!

But in saving that i am not ready, i hope she gets here sooner rather later. I don't think i could cope with the idea of going through a couple of weeks with another womb camper. Plus... she is due so close to Christmas as it is - who wants to be spending Christmas day in a hospital? However i suppose their are worse people that Bean could share a birthday with.

(: Reggie

No comments:

Post a Comment